Protective Coatings Applicator
Access, Plant and Equipment
Lesson 1 - Erecting and Dismantling Platforms
To understand and demonstrate the use of lightweight platforms up to two metres in height.
- The protective coatings applicator will use various forms of access performing their duties.
- Some locations allow the protective coatings applicator to erect platform up to two metres providing training is conducted.
- Training must be conducted with a trainer/assessor who is accredited to conduct the training.
- The training unit does not train a person to be qualified or competent in erecting or dismantling platforms-This is conducted by third party personnel.
Note; Regulations can vary from country to country
Lesson 2 - Safe Use of Ladders
To understand the safe use of ladders and to understand where and when ladders can be used, inspected, tested etc.
- The coatings operative will, almost certainly use ladders in their duties.
- The type of work from ladders should be restricted.
- Mobile platforms are a preferred method for access.
- Ladders are recommended to gain access only and not to work from.
Lesson 3 - Mobile Access Platforms
To understand the use of access platforms (Mobile Elevating Work Platforms - MEWP).
- The coatings operative will work on various sites including petrochemical, construction, industrial, offshore etc.
- Height work will generally consist of scaffolding or specialist access, however, mobile platforms may be used in certain environments.
- Mobile Elevating Work Platforms (MEWP) includes cherry pickers, scissor lifts etc.